Thanks for visiting my blog! MudBay Musings chronicles creative journeys, with inspiration and humor I find along the way... including my mother's and my artwork, stories, local bird life and garden favorites...
all of which I hope will bring a smile to your heart.



Friday, October 9, 2009

"Sea Maiden"



Once again, I've chosen Rossetti's lovely Fair Rosamund (1861) as the centerpiece for a mixed-media collage.

My initial inspiration was the aqua and brown "scales" print, which I purchased with the intent of creating a mermaid art doll. I soon realized that it would be difficult to realize my vision with this particular fabric, and gave up the idea of making a 3-D doll. I decided to re-interpret the mermaid theme and create a Sea Maiden mixed-media collage instead.

I'm still working out the details, but think she needs a grotto of some sort - perhaps as an archway overhead. There may be a wall below as well; I have a beautiful piece of Gothic pierced metal that I'm anxious to incorporate. The netting in the photo is actually a vintage hair net, and the shells on her crown are vintage lucite beads.

2 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Of course, I am enchanted with this exquisite piece. Beautifully done, my friend. This fills my eyes.

The Rustic Victorian said...

so beautiful, show us when it is done.