Thanks for visiting my blog! MudBay Musings chronicles creative journeys, with inspiration and humor I find along the way... including my mother's and my artwork, stories, local bird life and garden favorites...
all of which I hope will bring a smile to your heart.



Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Wings of Fire


Sometimes, during an otherwise bleak afternoon, the loveliness of nature can bring hope and renewal to a parched soul. After hearing of the passing of one of our family friends, I went for a walk in the backyard. Hiding in the midst of a cluster of beautiful, fiery maple leaves were the most stunning seed pods I've ever seen.
I often find green maple pods on the ground earlier in the season, scattered like tiny fuzzy-headed Luna Moths congregating on the walkway, but never have I seen them in such brilliant red hues. Seeing these wings of fire brought peace to my soul. My hope is that during the midst of your own fire, you will find wings.

4 comments:

Miki said...

The seed pods are so beautiful! But, it is your post that touched me most. My deep-felt condolences on the loss of your friend. You are in my prayers.

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my dear--I have never seen them colored so brilliantly. And I'm a Northwest girl, as you know.

I'm sorry to hear you have lost your friend. Grief is no stranger to me--dear one--I sense the depth of yours and I want you to know I'm praying for you. ((hugs))

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh these are gorgeous! I've never seen them like this, only green or brown. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

The Rustic Victorian said...

wow,,so beautiful..at first I thought you were going to say you had dyed them...